Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Operationalizing Phase 2, Part 1-Chillaxin' in Advance, North Carolina

Friday, May 14, 2010

Operationalizing Phase 2, Part 1-Chillaxin' in Advance, North Carolina



We were transitioning into Phase 2 of the RV cruising lifestyle when we were in Florida (see the posts entitled ‘Spending Winter in Florida, Parts 1-3’ and ‘Going through the 5 Stages of the Cruising Lifestyle’).  But, because we had a dear visiting friend from the Philippines, we slid back to Phase 1 (sight-seeing) when we were running around Savannah, Georgia and  Beaufort, Hilton Head, and Charleston, South Carolina (please see ‘Touring Low Country USA with a Friend’). 

But, now in North Carolina, we finally feel very much in Phase 2, a combination of sight-seeing and relaxing.  This part will be about ‘Chillaxin’ in Advance’.  Advance (pronounced with the stress on the first syllable) is an unincorporated community with a total land area of 62.3 square miles (161 km2) on the western bank of the Yadkin River. It is nestled within the Piedmont Triad (Winston-Salem, High Point, and Greensboro). 

The country cottages along the roads were pretty with azaleas in full bloom.  I even saw a mushroom farm see the piles of oak above) at Sandy Creek Farm nearby. In this little community was Forest Lake RV Resort, an RV park frequented by many locals in the area as a weekend vacation spot.  Here is where Bill took out a fishing license and alternated between the small stocked lake on the property and the Yadkin River a few hundred feet away.  For almost three weeks, we just kind of ‘chilled out’, playing mini-golf and billiards, hiking the trails, and sharing dinners with fellow RVers.  I even beat Bill at least once at mini-golf and billiards! And, while he was drowning worms, this blog got a great deal of attention alongside a lot of housekeeping!

We wished the spa was open but they said peak season is Memorial Day to Labor Day and that is when all the amenities, including two pools, are open.  You see when my friend left to go back to the Philippines, I noticed that I had gained a few more pounds and begun to develop love handles (the negative side effects a happy state) between my waist and hips. So we took to playing table tennis (I beat Bill once here, too!) and studying how to play pickleball. We also picked up exercising again and doing some yoga and Pilates. Alas, I realized the problem would not go away soon! Bill is telling me that I have to do something about eating, too! 

On a few days we ventured out of the campground and hunted for treasures around the consignment shops and flea markets in downtown Lexington (eight miles away) and Mocksville (ten miles away).  I wanted to send my grandson a dinosaur/robot and find an ornament tree for Christmas.  Instead we found a beautiful wooden five-bottle wine rack for our counter for only $18! On many days, however, we would simply go to the library to get a better connection for faster Internet surfing.  

On one Sunday, we even went to Winston-Salem, drove around the city and spotted a seven-foot coffee pot along the road.  We also went to three vineyards to sample North Carolina wine, rumored to be making a comeback! At the end of the day Bill treated me to a Cracker Barrel dinner/experience, my first! And when we went to hear mass at the Catholic church, we found a 62 Corvette with the plate, Carol's 62, and two Knights of Columbus elders in attendance!  That was a special treat for me!  I had been looking for a great application of my name in both North and South Carolina! Carol's 62 on a Corvette beats Carolina Leasing or Carolina Insurance! 

So, we can truly say…we were ‘chillaxin’ in Advance’!

Next Stops: Salisbury and Lenoir, North Carolina

5 comments:

  1. As usual, very well written. Make me want to "drown some worms" and enjoy the beauty of the areas you are traveling.
    What are the stacks of wood leaning against one another?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very lovely images... indeed very relaxing to see these images...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having a good time, regardless of what stage your at.

    You can find me sitting under a shade tree there by the lake. That really looks like chillin to me.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born in Winston-Salem and grew-up in this area. You have made me homesick. I truly enjoy reading about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow again! Love to drop by at your site to catch up with all the wonderful adventures you guys are going through. Love to see pics of all those beautiful sceneries displayed along with your great articles written about your travelling adventures.

    Wish I am there now! Sadly, I can only make believe that I am there by reading your good and interesting posts accompanied by great photo shots!

    Enjoy yourself to the fullest while you still can and lucky enough to have such opportunity.

    I even post this blog to some of my previous office mates including my former boss just to make their day after a hard day work.

    Glad I found you both here in this exciting blog.

    Looking forward to hear more of your great adventures followed by beautiful photo snaps.

    Have a good life and wish you both always a smooth and pleasant journey.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment